Birmingham City University in the United Kingdom has several campuses including the main campus in the City Centre and City South. Birmingham City University UK was founded in the year 1971 as the City of Birmingham Polytechnic, an amalgamation of five colleges. The Birmingham College of Art came up in the year 1843 while the School of Jewellery was founded in the year 1888. 1909 saw the School of Architecture established while the School of Music developed in the year 1859.
The North Birmingham Technical College and South Birmingham Technical College came up in the years 1961 and 1966 respectively. The University of Central England in Birmingham was formed in the year 1992. It also merged with a variety of other institutions thereafter, becoming the Birmingham City University in the year 2007.
According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, the Birmingham City University UK ranking is 501-600 in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2022. And according to the QS World University Rankings list, the ranking is 1001-1200.
The institution has lively campuses in City South and City Centre. The former has the Curzon, Parkside, Joseph Priestley, and University House buildings while the latter is home to the Faculty of Life Sciences, Health, and Education. The Birmingham City University also encompasses the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire and the School of Acting in Bournville. There are schools of jewellery and art as well.
The university places high importance on research, containing several research centres in faculties and services like design, business, engineering, law, social sciences, media, and arts, built environment, health, education, computing, life sciences, and many more. There is also the Birmingham Centre for Cultural and Media Research along with the cultural and media Labourites.
The deadline for UCAS is the 26th of January in almost cases while some courses have the 15th of October deadlines. The last application date is the 4th of July while it is the 5th of July via Clearing.
The Birmingham City University in UK admission method encompasses the following tips:
- Application by the online application form.
- Submit original academic certificates and transcripts.
- Completion of the Equal Option section.
- Portfolio/references as applicable provided.
- Passport copy provided.
- You can also apply through UCAS or your country representative.
- You can apply directly to the University for Admission into postgraduate programmes or buy a country representative.
Here are the Birmingham City University Admission Needs:
- English language proficiency or talent – Taking the Secure English Language Test.
- All Undergraduate students need at least 55% marks depending on their board in Class XII.
- Some courses need 60-65% marks with specific marks in subjects like Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics.
- With the 55% in minimum marks, Postgraduate applicants should have 3/4 year bachelor’s degrees.
- Some programmes will need higher marks and portfolios as well. Some may need proposals as well.
- Postgraduate applicants should have scored at least 6.0 in IELTS. Some programmes may insist on a higher score as well.
Birmingham City University’s Acceptance rate is approx 52-53%.
University Popular Programmes
Birmingham City University provides a variety of courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and is particularly known for its focus on commerce, science, and engineering. Some of its famous courses include computer science, finance, architecture, accountancy, acting, advanced clinical practice, applied linguistics, child psychology, art and design, dietetics, textile design, digital marketing, automotive engineering, and many more.
The Birmingham City University affectionately welcomes all international students from 100+ global nationalities. There are approx 24,500 students at the university which also offers 100+ societies and clubs for all students.
They can also take part in varied sports activities along with enjoying the eateries, pubs, and other activities on the university campus.
There is a dedicated Career Consultant team study in UK for helping students with all aspects of their job search and scheduling procedure. There are provisions for appointments along with assistance in job search strategies, getting work experience, building resumes, taking career decisions, interview preparation, and so on.
Other resources include helping students find placements and work options through industry connections with leading companies in diverse fields along with helping them with psychometric tests and assessments. Birmingham City University also helps with mentoring services and networking.